
Norah Evelyn Brock
February 16th, 5:55pm
February 16th, 5:55pm
8lbs 10oz, 20.5 inches long
Our 3rd baby was due to arrive on February 13th. I had a pretty uneventful pregnancy. I only gained 11lbs thanks to chasing 2 busy kids and keeping up on a bigger house. My doctor did a ultrasound at 36 weeks to check on the baby's size (ironically she was measuring a bit small when it came to my fundal measurements.) The 36 week Ultrasound confirmed that she was anything but small, already a good 7lbs 2oz. The doctor said I would likely NOT be delivering a 9lb plus baby (like Liam was), since babies gain about 1/2 lbs a week from 36 weeks on.
37 weeksAs the weeks went by, I think God prepared me mentally to go late. I did not feel super uncomfy or anxious to have the baby. Maybe it was the fact that my uterus had been so stretched out thanks to Liam's almost 10lbs frame. Maybe it was that I knew once baby #3 came, I would have 3 kids little kids to take care of and it wore me out just thinking of it. Maybe it was that Lexie was early, Liam was on his due date, so this one just had to be late. Maybe I just finally am learning to wait on His timing. Whatever it was, I was pretty happy-go-lucky till my due date arrived.
Then the due date did arrive and I was a bit more anxious to have her. Something about looking at that date that has been highlighted on the calender for so many months. All of the phone calls and texts you receive asking if that baby is here yet. My sweet dad drove up to watch the kiddos while I headed for my 40 week appointment. I was 2cm, 75% effaced. The Dr. stripped my membranes, which helped send me into labor with both Lexie and Liam within 48 hrs. He felt pretty certain he would be seeing me at the hospital within 48 hrs this time too. I drove home excited, thinking that the following day (Valentine's Day) would most likely be when I would be holding my baby in my arms. I walked that night, drank raspberry leaf tea, sat on the birthing ball and had some good contractions but nothing that picked up.
Woke up the next morning with more contractions but nothing too painful. Trav took the day off, in hopes it would be the day. We went to Tacoma Mall to walk some and encourage contractions. Got Lexie a build-a-bear for the first time and had a good laugh making all our family and friends on facebook think we had a newborn born at the mall named "Emily Bear Brock."

Contractions continued but never got strong enough.
Same story for the the next day, February 15th, I sent Trav to work that day. At this point, I was getting frustrated. This is my 3rd baby, shouldn't it be fast? What is up with all these contractions but no hard labor? And can I please punch everyone in the face who keeps calling me and asking if I had the baby yet? Totally joking on that last one ;)
The early morning hours of the February 16th, I finally got some contractions that made me wake up. I took a shower and walked around the house to encourage them. They were consistent but not too strong. They began to get closer together so I called up my parents and Travis called out for the day.
Arrived at the hospital around 11:30am, I was 4cm, they hooked me up to the monitors. The baby's heart rate seemed to worry the nurse. I sent a text message to some family and friends asking that they pray
God is so good. Contractions were just kind of weird, not picking up a lot in intensity but still frequent. We started on Pitocin I had it with Liam and although it was painful, I knew I had lived thru it before. The pitocin helped me rapidly get to 7cm dilated and then the Dr. broke my water. The last hour was hard. The nurses determined that the baby was sunny-side up which explained why she was having such a hard time coming down the birth canal. And why labor had been drawn out and contractions were lasting for days.
Luckily, I didn't have the epidural and was able to move around, helping her to turn just in time for birth. It was very painful and I remember asking about that epidural. The nurse said something along the lines as, "I am really sorry hon, but that won't be happening." I replied back something like, "Then I want to die!!"
I don't remember much at the end but telling them I had to push. They called the dr. in and he told me to breathe thru the next contraction. Me being the obedient patient I am, went ahead and pushed. It only took one more push until we got to see our newest little miracle.
Norah was just amazing. She was very calm. She looked around. She would cry and then stop when she heard our voice. She latched on to nurse right away. And instantly we fell in love with her.
When they weighed her in at 8lbs 10oz, we had to laugh. Perfectly, the average of big sister (7lbs 8oz) and big brother (9lbs 12oz.)
I am so thankful for getting to experience the miracle of birth naturally. Thankful for a healthy baby girl. Thankful for a wonderful nurse. Thankful for my husband who is so supportive during labor. I am thankful that she was able to come on her own time. Thankful for family and friends who made us feel so loved. I am thankful that even though she wasn't planned by us, God knew exactly what we needed and when.
Looking forward to every minute of getting to be her mommy.

1 comment:
This is Anita-hello fellow blogger! Love reading Norah's birth story...I really need to write ...well all 4 of them! Thank you for sharing!
Post a Comment