Monday, September 28, 2009

Goal: 37 weeks

I had an eventful 36 week appointment last Thursday. The nurse greeted me by telling me that my Group B Strep test came back positive. She went on to tell me it is really no big deal, just requires at least an hr of antibiotics during labor (before delivery) and maybe an extra day (2-3 full days) stay in the hospital to monitor the baby for any signs of infection. She also explained that there was nothing I could or couldn't do to prevent it. GBS comes and goes in different levels in just about all women's bodies and it is not harmful except for giving birth without knowing that you have a higher level of it in your system. This explains why I tested negative with Lexie and positive with this one, you just never know at what level your body is at. That is why they wait to test all pregnant women at the end of the pregnancy. She said 3 out of 10 of their OBGYN patients end up testing positive and it is just a routine, no-big-deal kind of thing.
That said, I begin doing what any 36 week preggo would do- FREAK OUT! No just kidding, but my mind did start racing, mostly around having extra medical bills with an extra day stay in the hospital. You would think the nurse would give people this news before taking their blood pressure. No, not the case. She checks my blood pressure and (shock) it is high. After a few minutes of calming down it was down to totally normal (125/84.) I kindly told her maybe she share that with patients after the BP check.
Then doctor comes in and checks the progress. He calmly tells me that I am almost completely effaced, dilated between 1-2, and cervix looks very soft, like I could go anytime. Yikes! The "almost" completely effaced part kind of got me since I had Lexie 5 hrs after being completely effaced last time. He said to take to the couch over the next week and try to make to 37 weeks (Thrusday- Oct 1st.) The concern being the babies lungs, they usually aren't a go until the 37 week mark. More then likely if he was born now, he would be small but fine. Nonetheless, we would all feel better if we hit the full term mark.
So I have been doing a lot of 'relaxing." It really isn't in my DNA but I know it is a must do. Luckily our friends and family have helped a lot. Lexie had a great time with Trav's family at the fair on Saturday. Trav and I sat around the house and it felt so weird to not have our little monkey around. We missed her but knowing that we will soon have 2, we savored up the peaceful adult time : ) Today my mom came up and cleaned my bathrooms and wore Lexie out- what an angel.
So that's that. Here ends my streak of non-eventful, boring doctor's visits. We laugh thinking I will have to be induced at 42 weeks or something after all this hype.
More updates coming soon on Lexie's 2nd birthday.

No comments: