Friday, October 2, 2009

Lexie's 2 year stats and update

I took Lexie in for her 2 year appt today and she just had a great time at the doctor's. I kid you not, our little girl loves the doctor's office. We bought her a fisher price doctor kit for her birthday and she loves checking our BP, heartbeats, giving us shots, and band aids. I think it has helped take the fear out of going to the doctor. Ironically, she also got to go to my OB appointment the day before (wasn't planned but we had to in a pinch), so I think that also helped her think it is something "cool."
Opening the doctor kit on her b-day.

She is growing on the exact same growth pace as she has since birth. She has been in the 50% for weight and 90% for height since the day she was born. She is 26 pounds even and 35.25 inches long.
She talked to the doctor in almost complete sentences and followed his instructions throughout the exam (opening mouth to check teeth, laying down to check stomach, etc.) He was really impressed with her comprehension and vocabulary skills. She got 2 shots, one of them being the regular seasonal flu and didn't cry at all. I was amazed.
She is such a joy. Travis and I are convinced she is an absolute genius. Here are some of our favorite traits and skills she has right now:

* Talking in 3rd person all the time. ("Lexie play baseball?" "Lexie hungry." "Lexie put on her shoes.") You get the picture.

* She loves structured activities. She loves story time and "Play to Learn" at our local libraries. During Play to Learn, she sits with the 3-4 year olds and the craft table. She loves art. Those who know me, know that I can't help her much in this subject : ) She also really loves Sunday School and does very well. She is moving up to the 2-3 year old class this week and the teacher thinks she is more then ready. She basically had the curriculum in the 1 year old class memorized.

* She loves being outside. We had a great summer of daily park trips, fun in the backyard, and lots of walking in the stroller. It is going to be tough adjustment to winter but I think we will just bundle her up and keep getting fresh air as long as we can.

* Lexie can now sing the whole ABC's. Very clearly!

* Takes 1 nap a day. Usually 1.5- 2.5 hours long. It is taking her longer and longer to wind herself down. She usually will just talk to her dolls and play in her crib for about 45 mins before finally crashing. She still falls asleep in the car too so sometimes we use that to our advantage. I just pray she keeps napping this well over the next year. Nap time is mommy's time and I really hope to use it to workout on the treadmill once the baby is here (he can come out and swing or be in the bouncer, like she used to be.)

* She loves to sing in general. Her favorite songs being "Rain, Rain, Go Away," "Twinkle, Twinkle," and The Sesame Street theme song. We just love when she starts singing "Sunny Day, sweeping the clouds away" in her little voice. She always directs others to sing too. "Dada's turn!" This makes for some pretty funny car rides.

* Learning about the potty and trying it out at least once or twice a day. We are just still kind of introducing it to her. I plan to start really trying right after the new year, after we get some kind of routine going with her baby brother (he will be about 3 months old.) She is so smart, I have no doubt she will catch on very fast, especially if rewards are involved.

* Has her moments of terrible 2's already. Let's just say that grocery shopping isn't what is used to be. She asks to get out of the cart and walk. She also points to things and says, "I want it!" Not our typical polite child. I know that the year ahead will hold many behavioral challenges but for now she seems to be doing fairly well with correction and punishment. So it is all to be expected I guess.

* She loves her night time routine. Travis has been doing the bath every night he is home now. They have quite the time singing "Rub-a-dubba-dubba." I have some new video clips that I will have to post on here. She obviously gets her love for singing from him. After bath, he reads to her in the most awesome character voices. My favorite part of the night is after we say our prayer and tuck her in, she says "sweet dreams Dada and Mama." Very precious.

No comments: