While we were in Cancun, my brothers mentioned that they wanted to do Triathlon that was coming up the 1st weekend of August in Elma. Being the crazy girl I am, I thought I would join in. Although, I had done one 3 years ago in Lake Chelan, I hadn't trained much (OKAY, maybe only 4 days) for this one. Casey (active duty military) and Chris (works out all the time) kind of had the same mind set, we would all just do it to finish it.
So we loaded up our bikes and gear early Sunday morning and headed to Elma. Lexie was a champ...up and going much earlier then usual. She was sporting her warm up suit and looked super sporty (thanks Nana B.) It was chilly and as we arrived at the check-in area, we began to realize this may not be a beginners triathlon. All of the other participants looked kind of professional and had bikes more expensive then what my house is worth. Still we stayed in good spirits. When it came time to head down the lake to start the race (swim first) we realized that just about everyone else had a wet suit on (Oops.)
The boys started a few minutes before us girls. Neither of my brothers trained at all for the swim, so I passed them at the half way mark. I had to check and make sure they were okay : ) The swim was cold for me but I love to swim so it was not difficult.
Next came the bike, I immediately felt like a drunk 10 year old on my bike. It didn't take long for people to start passing me. There were several more hills on this course, as opposed to the 1 in Chelan, and 1 monster hill. It was a long 12 miles for me but somehow I stayed ahead of the boys.
Once I reached the transition area for the run, I was ready to run, or so I thought. Funny how your legs feel like jello after 12 miles on a bike. It felt like I was running in slow motion. Sure enough, Casey, passed by taunting me to move faster. It helped fuel my fire, a little bit seeing him and pressed through the rest of the way to complete the 5k run.
Overall, I finished this race in 1hr and 45min50seconds. I think that is about 10 minutes slower then the one I did in Chelan 3 years ago, but hey, I trained 5 months for that one and it was a much easier course! Casey ended up beating my time by just 30 seconds to be the Garwood winner, Chris came in just a few minutes after me. The boys did so awesome for this being their first tri and with very little training. I think we would all do it again, only with wet suits!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment